Is it just because I'm an old fart

The acoustic coupler I used was 150 baud and I could read faster than it could push text.

1 Like

And in Germany, almost every citizen believed that ISDN would be the end of the world. Then came ISDN-2-channel bundling and with that and 128k we were able to laugh at the rest of the world, we finally had made it! :slight_smile:
Not only that we were completely proven wrong with that, but also clever heads found out that a lot more data can be hunt through the old copper wires. Very stupid fact for those who had already switched to ISDN. I’m not sure how long the hype over ISDN survived, But I think it was not longer than 2-3 years.

And that with two standards. We had to implement both. What a loss of time and money. Then isdn was uninteresting. From one day to the other. But they still wanted software and they still payed the bills. I will never forget about. The best job is when you know you work for the garbage.

1 Like

Pfff Amateur :slight_smile: I’ve managed to bundle 2 x ISDN B-Channel + 16 KBit/s ISDN D-Channel so in sum 144 KBit/s with AVM FritzCards :wink:

With the latest Windows NT4 Proxy Server and SOCKS-Sharing 25 People could easly surf without hassle. Of course the Websites back in those times were small in size, without annoying Scripts, Ads and Tracking.

1 Like

Yeah but that changed fast

Almost 25 years ago I had one of the first ADSL connections in France. France Telecom (now ‘Orange’) only had software for connecting Windows PCs, had to make it work for my Linux box. Speed was fantastic and websites less loaded with crap and adverts.

the good old “lynx” days :wink: - Now we have full speed but annoying cookie popups.

1 Like

I can remember 1200 baud modems, gradually moving up to 9600 and then wonder of wonders, an ISDN connection at work, lol.

I had clients in those days all over SW Michigan and made most of them buy modems so I could dial in and download updates. Even at that, I was doing one heck of a lot of driving.

2 Likes

u still can have it today (w3m)

In fact I prefer those websites. You can distinguish good website design and SEO if something is still useable in text-browsers. Btw searchbots usally do not have Javascript enabled nor load 3rd party components from different hosts.

Ancient :rofl:

03:13

2 Likes