If you use Xojo still

Which display mode do you use for the Library of Controls in the IDE?

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 7.39.33 AM

Capture dā€™eĢcran 2022-01-28 aĢ€ 17.31.51

Always:

• small icons and labels
  • alphabetically
  • no grouping

so I can find stuff.

2 Likes
  • Small icons and labels
  • Show Group Banners
  • Sort Alphabetically

same as Monkeybread

ScreenShot 2022-01-28 at 12.06.20

Not really using Xojo much anymore, but when I did:

1 Like

Seems the consensus is Small/Labelsā€¦ with most doing Alphabetically

Thanks

I think you forgot to ask about how old people areā€¦ the displayed size will increase when people are past 50/60 y/oā€¦

1 Like

I wanted something in between.

:black_medium_small_square: ā€œMidā€ icons with small labels : List format
:black_medium_small_square: Show group banners
:black_medium_small_square: Sort alphabetically

That is the default mode mode I useā€¦

But the library in Xojo REALLY annoys in some waysā€¦ I donā€™t like long lists.

Things like that there are several entries for buttons that only differ by their defaults AND they donā€™t sort together alphabetically or donā€™t have a sub-pallet or sub-menu under buttonā€¦

The latter is hat I would like to seeā€¦ it would help keep the main list shorter and IMO more usableā€¦

Sometimes I will use the category popup to find what I want, but submenus or sub-pallets would be faster IMO.

-Karen

Karenā€¦ not sure exactly what you meanā€¦ could perhaps you mockup something that might illustrateā€¦ Iā€™m open to new ideas :slight_smile:

Button >  PushButton
...       BevelButton
...       Default Button
...       Generic Button
...       etc.

Where the ā€œChildrenā€ are either a submenu or pallet

-karen

So a tree view instead of the current ā€œgroupsā€

Sort ofā€¦ Groups now groups things that can be disparate enough that it would not be obvious what they would be under in this UI.

As Xojo is now, I canā€™t always predict what group i should look in for a control I want, but can have a hard time finding it in full list because it is too long (AND Controls entries are not always named the same as the control itself when they have different entries for the control with different defaults)

BTW I donā€™t know why, but seeing ā€œList Boxā€ instead of ā€œListBoxā€ in the list annoys me too! :wink:

-Karen

1 Like

I decided to expand the functionality of my IDE to include similar grouping/categoriesā€¦ and still need to decide exactly who goes where, as I do agree, some of in strange placesā€¦ and I can add more categories (or less) quite easily

And I have controls that Xojo doesnā€™t

Xojo have more Controls than other IDEsā€¦

In that case a Control that opens (like a PopupMenuā€¦) and allow to select the one you want will be a better design, of course, IMHO.

• Small icons and labels
  • Show Group Banners
  • Sort Alphabetically

Today was the first time Iā€™ve launched Xojo in over a month

The fascinating point is that sometimes using Xojo is like looking on a car accident ā€¦