How best to navigate a "long" listbox [table]

speed isnt an issue since no matter what “filter” the data is still linear, its just a matter of getting another filter criteria from the user in a non-convulted way. I’ve looked at similar programs that have similar data in a list as I do, and even though they are mouse oriented, they all seem to have the same filters that I already do…

You could put a list of starting alphabets for a quick selection (a picture that HalGumbert posted earlier) but also allow more complex search when user wants to do it. Unlike when using basic hashmap, you would always automatically get your game list in alphabetical order with Trie. Categories could be handled in search by storing data into Trie as: “gategory:name”.

Looking at your screenshot in the first post instead of the long list of all of the games would it make sense to use the shorter list of Categories in place of the individual list of games? Let the user “drill down” within a category to see the individual game options?

You are missing the point entirely. It is not a matter of APPLYING a filter… .it is a matter of getting the CRITERIA from the user. Having multiple lists to scroll thru is not advantaeogus…I debated with myself for a week before I added the list on the left. adding a 3rd one would make the navigation a mess

I’d look into accelerating the scrolling. E.g, detect the speed of the swipe and scroll further, or detect quick (double) taps on the upper or lower part of the touchpad and then do page-wise scrolls instead of single item advances.

Thanks, but if you look at the screen shot, you will see I’ve already done that

Ok here is what I decided on…
there are TWO views (List and Grid)… The list view is what is shown above in the first post (with some minor alterations).
The GRID view looks like this

same filter table (far right), but a grid of 20 smaller thumbnails… and the grid allows horizontal as well as vertical navigation, so it is quicker

the thumbnails are created only when they need to be displayed, and then only if one isn’t already in the cache. Due to storage restrictions under tvOS, the are not stored between executions

1 Like