Funding If Not Nil

I’m in Garry! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you Mike!

I’m really touched by the generosity of people here. Not just financially but in reaching out privately. What a lovely community we have here.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Crashing Mail on macOS Catalina

One idea that quickly popped to mind was grabbing the r/IfNotNil subreddit at reddit.com! It does not yet exist (as of the time of this posting), so go grab it! Benefits: it’s free. It can be moderated. Multi-topic capable. And it’s free!

1 Like

personally, should this forum vanish, and a reddeit one replace it, I would cease to particiapate, I find reddit to be a very inhospitable, and difficult to navigate site. but then perhaps thats just me.

4 Likes

I like this suggestion. Let someone else host the content, yet you can still admin it.

You wouldn’t have to deal the other reddit subs, just INN. It would alleviate the cost and increases in cost as this site increases users.

sorry… Don’t Like Stackoverflow site, and don’t like Reddit… but not my call

I have no objection to others using the If Not Nil name for that purpose but I’m not a fan of Reddit myself so it’s not something I want to do personally. A reasonable suggestion though.

HI @garry - i can see that you’ve already achieved your target on Patreon but i’ve contributed a small monthly amount anyway as I’d like to see this forum continue and wish to thank you for your ongoing efforts with this.

Having said that I’m giving XOJO a rest for now and am delving deep into LiveCode instead so have not been clocking onto these forums.
Pleasingly there is no need for a INN style forum, as the official LiveCode forum, although uses very dated forum software, is extremely friendly and helpful, without the censorship seen in the official XOJO forums…

3 Likes

Thank you @stam. Sorry to hear you’re taking a break from Xojo. I’d be keen to hear your thoughts about LiveCode however - it’s not a language I’ve really tried before.

1 Like

No need to be sorry :smiley:

The first contact with the language is quite weird as practically everything is done in a (very) different way, but LiveCode is a lot of fun once you get into it.

There are many appealing features such as multidimensional arrays which are at he heart of many data operations in LC, are incredibly easy to use and even more helpfully can be assigned directly to controls and widgets to populate data grids/forms, tree views etc. There are a great many conveniences built it. Then there are some odd omissions as well… but in contrast to XOJO i very rarely feel like i’m having to constantly fight against the IDE to get stuff done, and XOJO hasn’t been fun to use for some time (for me at least).
I haven’t yet got into LC Builder (a similar but more ‘traditional’ programming language used to create ‘widgets’ - basically custom controls you can add to the IDE).

I’m porting a number of my existing XOJO and FileMaker projects to LC and so far haven’t hit any major obstacles. In fact, combined with LiveCloud (not affiliated with LiveCode but provides a cloud data backend specifically for LC and has a free tier) I’ve now easily upgraded some database projects to multiuser with very little effort and no cost (although that will change as data usage increases…)

There will be reasons to use XOJO again, but will probably wait for 2020r2 or 2021r1 at this rate, so i’ll keep lurking here as well :smiley:

1 Like