COVID-19 Discussion

that is what the post said
assuming we all get from now to then :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed.

Pathogens propagate along networks, not geography.

6 degrees of separation is a great example of the kind of interconnectedness the modern world has
Its very difficult to NOT be part of any network that something like this could spread through

I take it you’ve all seen Apple’s (limited) announcement that WWDC will be a virtual event this year. How cool: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20.

Whose sales have tanked to about 0 like mine did?

Really ? Just since corona hit ?
That seems really odd

I’m kind of wondering if the post count on the forums will bounce way up becuase no one can go out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep reading that a travel ban would be pointless. Last year NZ did not have a travel ban when they had a measles epidemic, and measles was carried to Samoa where measles created havoc and especially killed kids under 5 years old.

China stopped all travel in and out of Wuhan. Their cases have gone down and it seems they get on top of the virus spreading. Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea acted early and seem to have stopped the spread.

Europe and the USA have acted late and closed the barn door after the horse has bolted.

NZ so far has 8 confirmed cases - I think nearly all cases were travelers coming from overseas (US and France via Australia were the latest two).

The traffic and downloads are down about 25% in the last 10 days. But sales are awful. Of course, after writing yesterday I sold a couple of licenses.

The quote is from the email list of a marketing guy on Google Ads:

In some accounts, conversions are on the face of it unaffected. But I’ve been told by the client that *nobody* is buying later on in the sales process.

That seems to be the case for my software, too.

Travel bans and school closures can be effective but the duration required is a lot longer than is being suggested. For example, the Northern Ireland executive is talking about closing schools for 3 - 4 months!

People will postpone non-essential purchases, especially given the economic impact. Remember that a lot of people (esp the ‘Gig-Economy‘) are not being paid for staying at home.

they will forgo software purchase so to better invest in toilet paper :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw I didn’t think Trump could get any more unpopular outside the USA, but then I read this:

That’s a bit of a dick move from the President. Same old.

Luckily it won’t happen. The main owner of the company is Dietmar Hopp, the founder of SAP. He is a very socially minded person, does a lot for the region he comes from, and stated that the development is for the benefit of everyone and will not be sold at any price.

Very interesting description on how China dealt with the Coronavirus:

Once you have community spread a travel ban is not useful (ie/ once its already on an spreading among the citizenry)

China tried to stop it spreading by isolating WUHAn - but it had already spread before they took those actions. Singapores success so far was not a result of travel bans but of aggressively closing and halting all kinds of large community events and isolating many people. Same foe China where they basically quarantined the entire city.

That’s a bit of a dick move from the President. Same old.

A BIT ???

1 Like

The lesson is that you have to hit the spreading early and hard. If the whole province or even China had had a travel ban with stronger isolation of affected areas then the spread could have been stopped.

But the Chinese response after the initial lag has been impressive. And cusps for sending thousands of breathing apparatus and 2 Million face masks to Italy.

Compare that with the USA and weep.

He’s finally the “BIGGEST” at something. Congratulations.

1 Like