Censorship is bad for the Xojo Community

Xojo has some problems and rather than addressing them head on they are aggressively policing the forums to expunge any perceived criticism. It’s not a good look for them.

3 Likes

It’s not illegal for us to send you the link by email… is it?

Edit: quoting is broken?

That’s a great idea. Shadow reply here like https://news.ycombinator.com and the word will get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHIQzFuLAcU

It’s all about controlling the narrative. To much control, and people revolt.

Such an awesome idea.

I know for a fact that Xojo employees read this forum, Geoff included. Perhaps he will take on board some of the comments made here.

More likely just add the names to his “Enemies of Xojo list”… I think at this point that Geoff is incapable of understanding or accepting criticism. Evidenced by his reactions (or lack) during the last year.

1 Like

One of the reasons why I like Xojo is because I can work with many other languages (C++, Declares, HTML, CSS, JavaScript) at the same time with Xojo. Integrating these languages with Xojo should be promoted, as this further promotes the company and language.

When other major languages such as Java, Python, C, C++, C# Tiobe Index promote working with other languages, my guess is that each of these languages realized that working with other languages is also important. Its just a guess though. This is similar to operating systems, there will likely not be one single operating system for every application. Each has their own strengths.

2 Likes

if true, such a waste of time. Would rather see their energy spent on improving the product. If they did that, then the product would speak for itself.

3 Likes

@Garry: you still believe in humans and that humans can change, don’t you? Not going to happen. The stupid new event names were reverted only by applying hard pressure and Geoff still thinks that they will make the language better.

2 Likes

Guilty as charged. I always try to be optimistic.

Can people change? OF COURSE they can!

Can they change for the better? … ahem, that’s a different question …

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

very much agree with this.

From observation of the changes with the other forum, what I speculate is that Xojo Staff wanted to pull back from having to monitor / answer questions. As a result, they created the MVP program in hopes that the MVP would take over forum administration and answer questions that come up in the main forum. Now, what is interesting though is the topics that are coming up and how they are handled which is more policing of comments and putting more restrictions in place which leads to forum users having a bad taste in their mouth.

Now on the topic of banning long time users who have contributed a lot of their time answering questions, for free, I guess we will see what happens. Either, users will post questions and not get answered, MVP will have to step in more to answer questions, or Xojo Staff will have to spend more time in the forums. Either way, it puts more strain on MVP or Xojo staff to have to deal with answering forum community questions. If this does not happen, new users or existing users might say f it, and move on to other places to get their questions answers or different programming language all together.

3 Likes

It may be that they will stop doing that, now that we are aware they do…

MVP… Google tells me “Most valuable player”. I guess it’s not what you meant…
As I would like to understand your post, can you explain it to me, please?

For Xojo MVP means something else
https://www.xojo.com/mvp/

Ah, ok. Still about competition, then. Not my cup of tea…

Thank you for the explanation.

I was asked by Xojo to comment on my experience.
I got this back:

Irritated by rejection if free speech in the forum, with banning of people making constructive suggestions

Hi Phillip,

First, thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. We read each and every one and consider what actions if any we can take.

Freedom of speech, especially when it comes in the form of respectful and clearly constructive criticism, is something we value greatly. It looks like you are relatively new to Xojo so you weren’t around when we used to have the community bifurcated into two separate communications channels: an email list and a web-based forum. The forum back then was not a pleasant place to be for two reasons. First, we didn’t moderate much at all and second, because it was effectively anonymous. I have found that anonymity can be exceptionally freeing but it also sometimes brings out the worst in people as they feel free to say things they would never say to a person’s face. That’s why when we created the forum we have now and did away with the email list (to bring the community together), we insisted upon everyone using their real names. People act differently when their reputation hangs in the balance. These two things have made the support forum a far more welcoming place than the original forum had been.

Constructive criticism is not only acceptable, it’s welcome. It’s one of the most important ways for us to hear what Xojo users want. That said, constructive is the operative word. Sometimes users will get frustrated about something they don’t like and rather than express it respectfully, they are disrespectful or downright nasty. They seem unable to control their emotions or at least don’t understand that the forum is not meant to be the outlet for that. When the few that can’t control themselves act this way, it makes the forum an unfriendly place. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of users understand this. We get plenty of constructive criticism from them. In fact, since this new forum debuted in 2013 (coming up on 7 years ago) of the over 19,000 members we have only permanently banned 3 and put a few on a temporary ban (30 days).

You’ve probably seen our posting about forum etiquette. Half of the rules listed there were the result of a single user. That should tell you how rare this issue is and how seriously we take it.

We do not wish to ban anyone. Nearly every time multiple users contact us to complain about a particular user’s disrespectful attitude. We ban only as a last resort when multiple warnings have gone unheeded. The decision to ban is also not left up to any one person but is done by a committee of which I am not a member.

I hope this provides some clarity for you. Our goal is to have a welcoming forum where people can feel free to provide constructive feedback.

Geoff Perlman
Founder and CEO
Xojo, Inc.

FWIW I’ve been told thats me
And MOST of those rules existed from the outset - so its a really hard claim to make that they exist because of a single user. But they make this claim anyway

I got no warning about possibly being banned
It just happened
I’m not sure Dave got any warning either

While the words Geoff write sounds great they dont match reality
The “rule” i supposedly breached was

As the Xojo community is meant to be a resource for Xojo users to receive help, share tips, and communicate in a reasonable and professional manner, intentionally inflammatory comments (trolling) or users who are an overwhelmingly negative influence in the community will be suspended.

If you go check there is no such rule about “overwhelmingly negative influence in the community will be suspended.”
I’ve kept all emails - there was no warning prior to this one announcing the suspension to me

Never mind that I’ve posted 20K+ times (in both accounts) and they’re all “negative” ?
Really ?
I find that really hard to believe but …

I did not… and I will bet I was banned at the direct instruction of Mr. Perlman, not by a committe of which he is not a member