Are there other IDE's you like how they do things?

is the b4x language fully oop? would it be easy to implement a mvc, mvp, or mvvm pattern?

Thats what always put me off, until recently, now it less of an issue rather that a plain ‘no I refuse to use it’

I’m not sure. It seems to be. Depends on what your definition of OOP is.

As far as the patterns, do they require OOP to implement? I’ve only ever done MVC in PHP (Laravel).

I apologize for throwing this thread off-topic. Maybe we should start another…

There’s stuff that I miss from the VS IDE, but also some stuff that Xojo’s does better. Going back and forth, I really wish there was a “best of both worlds” IDE!

You asked what I like about other IDEs. Well, speaking of the VS IDE:

• Values of variables shown while hovering, in decimal or Hex for numeric, all values of an array or collection
  • Conditional breakpoints
  • Watches (dunno if Xojo has those, if it does I must have missed the memo)
  • Persisent layout (e.g. output screen doesn’t disappear each time you run)
  • All code for a class in one file/screen. (Events/Properties/Methods, etc. aren’t all separated out)
  • More full-featured auto-complete
  • Publish creates a click-once installer with auto-update (Windows, only of course)
  • Edit and Continue
  • HOT RELOAD!! ** This is a game-changer if you’ve ever used an IDE/Language that supports this **

This is the view from Erel, the creator of B4X, on the forum (snippets from where this was discussed):

B4X is an OOP programming language. This is not a binary feature and there are many aspects to the OOP paradigm. B4X supports classes, encapsulation, polymorphism, composition and other OOP features.

Polymorphism is supported through duck typing

Concrete inheritance is considered bad practice by many. Composition is the recommended method. Concrete inheritance is mainly useful for framework / SDK developers, the Java collection SDK is a good example.

Although I do miss inheritance myself (but maybe that is because I’m programming in Java a lot), I respect Erels view on how he sees his language.

His target is RAD, or as he once said:

'If I were to add all the features listed in the first post,’ (where someone gave HIS view of OOP) ‘it will be the end of B4X as a RAD programming language. It would have been Java with a different syntax.

from what I understand, people using macos as a dev platform will be easier with xojo,
and people using windows as a dev platform will prefer b4x
I also don’t want my dev tool to run in a virtual machine, so the choice is easy.

1 Like

I was getting the same impression lately

Thank you!
should maybe start another thread for b4x, but how do people view java desktop apps these days. I remember them as something people dismissed as bad in the ‘elder’ days…

1 Like

Agreed, don’t want to hijack this topic. :wink:

done :slight_smile:

I know I am late to the game but… I like VS Code… I know hell has frozen over… I like a Microsoft product. but VS Code is a nice editor and it works well on Windows, Mac and LInux… yes all three… and I run it on all three.

it has a ton of extensions and “tweaks” for many many many languages.

runs quite well despite being an Electron app…

yeah I am a big Anti-Fan of electron apps but that one works very well.