A potential future for the Xojo team

The reason I want to stay with Xojo is I like the “Basic” style language. And at 80 after over 20 years of using it I am not about to learn “Swift” style language. I agree that Xojo have made bad decisions but I think I either stick with it until I am senile or quit programming.

6 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with staying with Xojo if it continues to do what you need.

1 Like

I’m a Omnifocus fan and the new version looks awesome, especially on iPhone/iPad!

2 Likes

Not 80, but same 20 years of using BASIC…

And still using xojo, using a lot of workarouds, hacks and custom controls, but the problem is beyond the current problems. Their way of doing thing is leading to a exodus, maybe BASIC lovers and xojo fans can hold on a little longer but, at the end, without customers, there will be no more xojo :frowning:

4 Likes

Xojo using Basic never put me off, I didn’t pick Swift because I thought the language was better, I picked Swift because I don’t want to have to learn another language in the next 25 years.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. The basic language never made me feel like it was a limitation or a hindrance. No matter how many times, Xojo tried to distance themselves from BASIC, I never saw it as a problem and just assumed they knew something I didn’t.

The Language Reference from the '90s never made me stop and think it was time to move on, the new terrible language reference that can’t find shit, did. No matter how much I communicated to Xojo the problems with the new LR, they shipped it anyway and seemed surprised when they received a ton of negative feedback.

What turned me off from Xojo, is that it feels they’re stuck in the 1990s and once a decade repaint the fascias to rebrand, ignoring the fact that the rest of the industry has moved on.

What’s the difference between a M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max processor? There is no difference to a Xojo developer. You’ll see I am disappointed that Apple uses “MOREH COREZ” to differentiate the processors and I’d like to see improved single core performance, giving benefits across the board, but they don’t and Xojo is reluctant to adopt proper concurrency.

The first app I ported to SwiftUI ran so much faster than the Xojo version (on a single core), that I made it use the efficiency cores of Apple Silicon, not only does it still run faster, but it uses less energy. This is a tangible benefit of learning Swift instead of API 2.0.

Swift and Xojo are not that different, and I would suggest you take a look at the 100 days of Swift tutorials, spend an hour a day is all.

SwiftUI, that’s the one that’s difficult, the language isn’t, but shifting your mind set to adopt the new paradigm is HARD. In principle you describe the UI using code, but you don’t directly manipulate the UI with code… It feels very disconnected and spaghetti like, but when that ‘clicks’ and you understand why, it makes perfect sense.

At the end of all of this, the reason I moved on is not because Xojo uses a BASIC language, it’s because of Xojo the company.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you said 100%

and for anyone interested in Swift as opposed to SwiftUI, take a look at the large tuturial I post a few years ago… some might be dated or improved (becuase I know more now :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea-

add it to my ( and others I’m sure ) suggestion that the XOJO compiler and IDE goes multi-language - I’d say Swift, Python and maybe eventually C# - but all using their ( adopted to SwiftUI or something declarative and yes, got for it!

Frankly just adding C# as an alternative to XOJObasic would be a start - although as I understand C# uses garbage collection still. whereas Swift I believe is reference counted?

dunno

just mulling and day dreaming like you

terrible idea…(my opinion) the current state of Xojo IDE / Compiler is so bad it can barely support Xojo

and since they don’t have a compiler engineer to fix they current problems, for them to take on something as useless as this would be another huge mistake to add to the list.

3 Likes