2023 Xojo Survey

1 Like

1 Like

Do you have any comments about contacting support ?

• Senseless, bugs are closed as either feature or being archived

• Pro Plus requests often get fixed fast

• Only did one several years ago and the issue was resolved quickly. And, no, it wasn’t about code or bugs.

• Got a reply pretty quickly.

• Nope.

• Support was friendly and helpfull when needed.

• I assume you mean reporting bugs. I have not phoned them.

• N/A

• past attempts have been met with distain

• no

• no forum is good enough

1 Like

1 Like

If you would like to share any additional comments or experiences about Xojo, please enter them below.

• All lies in Geoff’s hands. He should understand people are disappointed because of his decisions, and that he should make all efforts to win back those experts he lost. What would Xojo be without Christian’s or Björn’s support? What could it be with those gladly helping who lost confidence in the product? It’s not too late but the time window is closing.

• I wish there was an open, welcoming attitude of xojo to user feedback, even if criticizing the product or company in a polite, constructive way. I wich there was some place as a replacement for the official forum which is not poisoned by rants about questionable Xojo business decisions.

• Without the MBS plugins, I would not have been able to do more than a small part of my software. (86 of the applications I made still work on my macOS Catalina)

• I’ve been a user since Real Basic 2.0 (or whatever it was called way back then). I’ve developed several programs that incorporate MySQL database and URL connectivity to provide the underpinnings of drafthistory.com which focuses on the history of the NFL draft, as well as several games for family and friends. In general, I enjoy XOJO and my only complaints are related to the inexplicable changes to the language that have not advance, but only forced rather useless changes when upgrading programs.

• Xojo works fine for my needs right now, but I’m actively rewriting my software in .NET because I don’t have faith that Xojo will continue to work for me without some major rewrites. If I have to rewrite, I may as well go with C# since I know it’ll be around for a while. I don’t like the direction the management is taking the company, spreading people too thin and wasting time on platforms they don’t really support. Kind of everything you hear on ifnotnil.

• They do not seem to be listening to pro customers in the slightest. Somehow it’s always our fault - not theirs.

• Please, stop messing with the language. You are destroying years of built up good will and code examples. I’ve not touched API 2 much as I’ve been maintaining older API 1 apps, but recently I created a small personal util that used API 2. Finding information and example code was an absolute nightmare. On Google, the first two pages or results were nothing but links to deprecated reference documents or non-working forum examples. Your new documentation system is terrible and the search simply doesn’t work properly. The change to single pages for each class rather than dividing it up means that older, deprecated content will always appear above the new material in search results as it will appear more relevant to search engines. This is really bad. I know I sound like I’m just moaning, but I’ve used RB/Xojo for 20 years and have mostly loved the experience. I’ve never been vocal on the forums about the issues I’ve seen recently, instead I have quietly moved my business elsewhere.

• Tool with neglected potential.

• Xojo development tries to do way more than it can with the small team of developers it employs. The Web and mobile targets are largely jokes even after years of effort. Bugs are not addressed properly. I tried to approach it as a tool for cross-platform desktop but it fails in important ways even there because of implementation holes and bugs. Too much of the product is marketing hype and not reality.

• I’ll continue to use Xojo as much as possible. Don’t want to learn another language.

• My only comment is that unless they get a new CEO I don’t expect them to be still around in 5 to 10 years time.

• no

• whiners on forum makes 90% of post and don’t even use xojo sad

• Unfixed bugs, unfixed bugs, unfixed bugs.

• I’d be nice to see Xojo turn it around.

1 Like

Word Clouds for all comments…

Definitely take these results with a grain of salt
I suspect few from TOF have seen or know about this little survey so the results are quite possibly skewed
But - its interesting

Survey will remain up & available for the foreseeable future

I can only say: there is a need for a tool like that for people coming from no idea platforms. All others do not need that at all. So I guess there will be a big enough amount of customers paying.
All others landing in the top ten of languages. Many at qt with c++ and java, also many at c# and other languages. And definitely not at Xojo. But the low code and no code customers are there and in the need of something like xojo

Indeed it could have been a great tool
But that ship has sailed and all the machinations they’ve done over the past few years haven’t righted it
Just frustrated more of their supporters

You can see that some folks are happy with things
But its sure not “the vast majority”

2 Likes

Small detail missing: 99 percent of the whiners have used Xojo heavily in the past.

You can see that some folks are happy with things

and that’s somehow logical. If it would be impossible to do anything reasonable with Xojo they would be already out of market. It always depends what you are trying to achieve, plus not everyone is interested in learning if new tools could do the same. IMHO the problem with Xojo is, that he has a few built-in traps the better you are knowing the tool. That’s when you are facing limits and might get into big troubles.

Overall the price ticket is another “problem”. It used to be fairly priced, especially when there was (other than Java, Objective-C, etc.) no real free alternative. That obviously changed dramatically.

I had to go reread this

Note these are the replies to the survey question NOT my personal opinions :slight_smile:

Yeah there were few replies that cited the price increases as a dissuading thing

By the way desktop cross platform had always alternatives.

as I wrote in my last sentence.

I did realize that, I referred to you asking:

If you would like to share any additional comments or experiences about Xojo, please enter them below.

and yes, I liked to share my additional comments :wink:

Uh

is yet another survey question :stuck_out_tongue:

For what it is, it carries an extravagant price tag, compared to other offerings.

2 Likes

In the beginning over 20 years ago the price was reasonable. Not cheap but you became more efficient and every penny was justified. A no-brainer for PROs, so to speak.

Then came the darker years, new architecture at Apple, Retina, 64-bit, etc. Few new functions, but people were happy (almost proud) that Xojo survived and faced the new facts and could continue. That was somehow worth the EURs. For example, it felt like a kind of “donation” to me.

In the last third, however, not much happened with the core products, and “interesting” decisions were made. Ironically, many free alternatives have also come onto the market (it used to be just Java and a few other BASIC dialects, Delphi, etc.), and most importantly new technological approaches. Let’s just take git, who works a lot today without a proper git integration? In addition, the long start-up times, slow and/or dysfunctional autocomplete, and dependencies on plugins at Xojo have not decreased, despite all attempts to integrate such functions in the core.

In short, even without a price increase, IMHO the benefit per dollar has been steadily declining. Not only because the Windows part hasn’t received much love and does just look old-fashioned.

In addition, the release policy (aka bug fixing) clearly leads to a subscription model. Even if the Inc. doesn’t want to hear that, that’s exactly what it is.

In the past, you could expect at least one stable release that solved a lot of bugs a year. And many are still using these old versions. From 2019 at the latest, IMHO you will always be forced to jump on the latest car if you want to see your bugs fixed. And that also means that you often have to completely refactor your code because far-reaching changes (albeit without added value) are implemented.

As a result, many no longer grudgingly accept further updates, but slowly but surely get upset about every penny or question the investment.
Last but not least: many of the ancient libraries that Xojo still uses were not always obsolete. But now they are, and today outdated libraries are also a significantly higher risk than they were a few decades ago. If you now pair that with documentation that has deteriorated in terms of content and functionality, and that the support forum has lost many old hands, then unfortunately the attractiveness has in fact lost massively.

You can ignore those facts, or call people like me a “whiner”, but personally I don’t know how you could argue that the price increase with a parallel dramatic drop in quality could be sold as a profit, let alone as a sensible investment.
It’s less about the annual costs and more about the total cost of ownership for the entire ecosystem over lifetime. Hobby developers at the latest would only have to do the math here :frowning:

3 Likes

I’d be willing to pay for Pro Plus aka Enterprise if the bugs were under control.

With all the mess, it’s hard to justify almost any price.

1 Like

That and a reasonably reliable roadmap. Of course, you can’t plan everything in IT, especially not with development tools, since the OS vendors trip you up regularly, but unexpectedly.

But for a few years now, the Xojo Roadmap has been more comparable to a communist 5-year kolkhoz plan. That’s kinda sick IMHO. From time to time the launch of a new Soyuz rocket is celebrated because it flew further than expected, but the announced space flight for tourists like us doesn’t and most likely won’t happen :wink:

The time taken to finally have Cocoa available in Xojo’s ancestor is memorable, though (a lot of months).

Me :grin:

The Mac part has also flaws, like controls that don’t exist.

In other words: has something improved during these recent years?

1 Like