1 ring to rule them all, or 1 ring to rule each platform?

Thank you.
Unfortunately, it still sounds like you need to use Xcode to create a UI on MacOS. That’s something I’m just not going to do. There’s SO MANY programming languages and environments that can use shared x-platform code. Big deal, I say. That’s the easy part.

I like Xojo because I can create all UI’s in one IDE. It’s obviously a nearly impossible challenge, because practically nobody else can do it. But… that may change, as it seems that MS Maui looks may offer it for free.

That MS, Google and others are all making moves into the x-platform space, and some even with x-platform UI tookits/frameworks makes this all the more interesting
Obviously its a space that they see as important to serve

1 Like

Can’t happen fast enough. I’ve been waiting for this for 10 or more years! (If Xojo had been easier to find I probably would have jumped in sooner!)

1 Like

It depends on what you want, I currently use Xojo for desktop, Xojo for some web, And B4X tools for mobile and webservices

Xojo is way too limited for iOS and have a really poor performance for web services
B4X desktop apps are not native

So, it deppends on what you want

1 Like

But as Web Services do not need GUI, couldn’t the performance of a Xojo console app be a lot better than a web app? The no longer developed Aloe Express I think was that…

With console app the biggest bottle neck I think would be the limitation of using a single core, which could be gotten around to an extent with helper apps.

• Karen

I think you have a little confution there, a web app and a web service are the same for xojo, neither have GUI and both are console app. Yes, the service has much less traffic per client (no HTML CSS, etc) but web Services normally have more clients.

In my case, The first time I replaced Xojo was in a proyect, I had a web app with 20 concurrent users tops and Xojo Handled ok, but the web service could have 500+ concurrent conections and xojo couldnt do it

That’s the point. Why bother making helpper apps and/or ballancing many instances when B4J creates a multithread server?

It took me much less time to make the port than the time wasted attempting balancing the Xojo app, Much better performance, familiar sintax, lots of libraries out of the box and… it is free

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/pages/results/?query=[server]&page=1&prefix=0

1 Like

Does anyone know if a B4J app will run on a Mac? Any hurdles to overcome re: distribution (apart from Apples usual interference)

Yes, they actually run on Windows, Mac, Linux and ARM boards.

where is the link to download mac version of the program for development???

This looks interesting

Not sure but you might have to use Windows to develop but it claims to deply x-platform

The IDE is only available on Windows.

Development is Windows only

I was on their site just yesterday. Looks interesting, Fom a single codebase being able to compile for Windows, linux, Mac, Android iOS and Web with WebAssembly.

But it says Visual Studio (Windows, Mac), so, the only problem is the C#, XAML

Maybe its time to learn C#, instead of API2.0

Gee … and not just a single code base but a single “project” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thought we discussed this one before. I gave it the college try, but it’s WAY too hard to make work. It’s years away from being anything functional AFAICT.
Reminds me of Xamarin, Avalonia, ETO.net and all the others that have tried.

Maui I think will be the one to watch, but still no drag/drop GUI. I can’t see ANYTHING ever being as easy a Xojo for creating X-Plat Desktop apps. STILL nothing is even in the ballpark.

I thought we had as well and had searched the forums for mention before posting

Couldnt find any prior one

And yes still 99.9% of modern “IDE’s” are text only :frowning: